- Former Member of the US House of Representatives (R-NC)
- Not Clearly Pro or Con to the question "Can Alternative Energy Effectively Replace Fossil Fuels?"
“My position on energy is straightforward — we should be doing everything possible to address this growing problem and move our nation toward energy independence by developing reliable alternative energy sources for the future.
That’s why I introduced H.R. 6383, The Alternative Energy Advancement, which seeks to increase the development of new alternative energy technologies by diverting all federal proceeds from future oil and gas leases into a newly created Alternative Energy Trust Fund.
In the short run, I believe we need to use more of the oil and gas that is available here in our country. Over the long run, I believe we need to develop and implement new alternative energy sources.
This legislation seeks to accomplish both of these goals by using the proceeds from oil and gas leases to fund alternative energy research and development for the future.”
“Hayes: Energy Independence Would Improve National Security,” Independent Tribune, Sep. 29, 2008
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Member, US House of Representatives (R-NC), 1998-2009
- Member, Armed Services Committee, Agriculture Committee, and Transportation and Infrastructure Committee
- Founding Co-Chairman, Special Operations Forces Caucus
- Co-Chairman, Philanthropy Caucus
- Former Co-Chairman, Sportsman’s Caucus
- Assistant Whip, US House of Representatives, 2007-2008
- Member, North Carolina House of Representatives, 1992-1996
- BA, History, Duke University, 1967
- None found
- Quoted in: