- Executive Director of the Sierra Club
- Pro to the question "Can Alternative Energy Effectively Replace Fossil Fuels?"
“Consider that enough sunlight hits the earth’s surface in 40 minutes to match the planet’s energy needs for an entire year. Or that there’s enough wind energy in 12 states in the middle of the U.S. to meet our country’s electricity demand two-and-a-half times over. The availability – and increasing affordability – of renewable energy solutions show that further investments in dirty energy projects such as mountaintop removal and coal-fired power plants are just outdated and unnecessary.”
“Fighting Climate Change: Not an Obligation, an Opportunity,” www.huffingtonpost.com, Dec. 11, 2008
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals and organizations that do not fit into the other star categories.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Executive Director, Sierra Club, Mar. 2010-present
- Executive Director, Rainforest Action Network, 2003-2010
- Campaigner, Rainforest Action Network, 1998-2003
- Former Organizer, Coastal Rainforest Coalition
- Former Organizer, Greenpeace
- BA, Economics and Finance, West Chester University, 1993
- Led Rainforest Action Network’s campaign to protect British Columbia’s rainforests, leading to Home Depot changing its policy on wood purchases and the protection of 5 million acres of rainforest in British Columbia. Time magazine called the victory the most important environmental story of 1999.
- Quoted in: