- Vice Admiral (Ret.) and Director of the Idaho National Laboratory
- Not Clearly Pro or Con to the question "Can Alternative Energy Effectively Replace Fossil Fuels?"
“Realistically, we as a nation have no silver bullets that in the near- or mid-term can replace nuclear power as a reliable, 24/7 producer of massive amounts of cost-effective and carbon-emission-free baseload electric power and process heat for industrial processes to displace burning of natural gas and oil.”
Statement, US House of Representatives Committee on Science and Technology hearing “Opportunities and Challenges for Nuclear Power,” www.science.house.gov, Apr. 23, 2008
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with PhDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to alternative energy or fossil fuel issues. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to alternative energy or fossil fuel issues.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Director, Idaho National Laboratory (INL)
- President, Battelle Energy Alliance
- Former Commander, US Naval Submarine Forces
- Recipient, Stockdale Award, US Navy
- Recipient, David Lloyd Awards for Leadership and Excellence, US Navy
- MA, International Relations, Johns Hopkins University
- BA, Chemistry, US Naval Academy
- Nominated by President George W. Bush to be Chairman of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), 2003
- Quoted in: