- President of the Institute for Energy and Environmental Research
- Pro to the question "Can Alternative Energy Effectively Replace Fossil Fuels?"
“[A] zero-CO2 U.S. economy can be achieved within the next thirty to fifty years without the use of nuclear power…
The U.S. renewable energy resource base is vast and practically untapped. Available wind energy resources in 12 Midwestern and Rocky Mountain states equal about 2.5 times the entire electricity production of the United States… Solar energy resources on just one percent of the area of the United States are about three times as large as wind energy, if production is focused in the high insolation [strong sunlight] areas in the Southwest and West…
With the right combination of technologies, it is likely that even the use of coal can be phased out, along with nuclear electricity.
Complete elimination of CO2 could occur as early as 2040. Elimination of nuclear power could also occur in that time frame.”
“Carbon-Free and Nuclear-Free,” Science for Democratic Action, Aug. 2007
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with PhDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to alternative energy or fossil fuel issues. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to alternative energy or fossil fuel issues.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Associate, Sanford Cohen & Associates Inc. (energy engineering and consultation company), 2004-present
- President and Senior Engineer, Institute for Energy and Environmental Research, 1987-present
- Recipient, Jane Bagley Lehman Award of the Tides Foundation, 2007,2008
- Recipient, Ploughshares Hero, Ploughshares Fund, 2006
- Recipient, The Josephine Butler Nuclear Free Future Award, 2001
- Recipient, The John Bartlow Martin Award for Public Interest Magazine Journalism of the Medill School of Journalism, Northwestern University, 1989
- Associate Professor, Capitol College (Laurel, MD), 1984-1988
- Independent consultant, energy issues, 1975-1987
- Assistant Professor, Capitol College, 1983-1984
- Visiting Professor, National Institute of Bank Management (Bombay, India), 1977-1979
- Project Specialist, Ford Foundation Energy Policy Project, 1972-1974
- Assistant Electrical Engineer, Kaiser Engineers (Oakland, CA), 1969-1970
- Fellow, American Physical Society
- Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Health Physics Society, and the American Association for the Advancement of Science
- PhD, Nuclear Fusion, University of California at Berkeley, 1972
- MS, Electrical Engineering, Washington State University, 1967
- BA, University of Bombay (India), 1965
- Testified before Congress, and has appeared on ABC World News Tonight, the CBS Evening News, CBS 60 Minutes, NPR, CNN, and BBC
- Served as a consultant on energy issues to utilities, including the Tennessee Valley Authority, the Edison Electric Institute, the Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory, and several agencies of the United Nations.
- Quoted in: