- Executive Director of the United Nations Environment Programme
- Not Clearly Pro or Con to the question "Can Alternative Energy Effectively Replace Fossil Fuels?"
“If we are to move the global economy to a greener and cleaner one, a sharp reduction in the inefficient use of fossil fuels allied to an increased up take of renewable energy must be at the centre of the international response.
There are also powerful arguments in favour of the making the transition ‘Towards a Low Carbon Economy’, with ever clearer evidence that this represents a huge opportunity rather than a burden.”
“Message from Achim Steiner for World Environment Day: Kick-Starting the Green Economy,” www.climateactionprogramme.org, June 4, 2008
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Executive Director, United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), Mar. 2006-Present
- Director-General, United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON), 2009-Present
- Under-Secretary General, United Nations
- Advisory Board Member, China Council for International Cooperation on Environment and Development (CCICED)
- Director General, World Conservation Union (IUCN), 2001-2006
- Secretary General, World Commission on Dams, 1998-2001
- MA, University of London, specialized in development economics, regional planning, and international development and environment policy
- BA, University of Oxford
- Born in Brazil in 1961